July 14, 2011

The Anchor Holds...

Hebrews 6:19 a... Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast...

My Husband recently purchased a boat for our family, and we have been going out to a nearby lake. I've enjoyed being out on the water, and feeling the sun and the breeze on my face. I've loved watching my boys full of joy, bobbing up and down as we go over the waves. I found myself in a moment of awe, thinking just how lucky I am to have such special moments with Rick, Noah and Eli. We have gone out twice now, and I've really enjoyed these moments as a family.


Rick has been teaching me all the different things I need to know about boating. He has taught me how to drive the boat, dock the boat (which I'm terrible at, haha) and how to put the anchor down. As we know, the purpose of the anchor is to hold the boat in place.


One thing he told me about the anchor is that you have to cast it off the front of the boat. The reason why is, if you cast it off the back, it could drag the boat down . If you cast it off the front, the boat will stay firmly in place.

Since I didn't grow up on boats, I never knew that. Maybe it's common sense, but I didn't know.


I started thinking about this, and just how important the anchor is.


It held us in place while the boys were swimming. Though the waves came with the passing boaters, the boat stayed put. It didn't waver.


It made me think...


God (truly) is our anchor.


We will have high waves and rough winds come into our lives. There will be storms so great that we may never feel like we will ever recover, but we will, because God is our anchor.


He will hold us in place. He will be our refuge from the storm. He will keep us safe.


I truly feel like over the last 6 months, God has been my anchor through so much. He has kept me in place when I just felt like floating away. He has held me up when it seemed so easy to just go under.


He has been there.


He has also, been my hope. I'm so thankful for hope.


Hebrews 6:19 a... Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast...


So many days, Hope has held me still. Hope has been my anchor of the soul.


It's amazing how God always speaks to me through through His word and music. When I feel week or empty, He will send a song my way to give me strength and encourage me.


Sunday, He sent the song, The Anchor holds. (Fitting, huh? =)


As I listened to Annette sing the beautiful words, I found myself weeping and thanking God that He Is my anchor.


He is directing my course. He is bringing me through the storms. Though tattered and broken, He carries me and helps me carry on. He is my anchor. He is my rock. He is my hope...


I wish I could play the beautiful version I heard of Annette singing along with the piano. She's amazing and when she sings, it sends chills down my spine. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy, so, I will have to share another version.


Please take a moment to listen. The second verse is the one that really speaks to me... I also posted the words below.


Much Love,


Natalie


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyIEhoY90WQ&playnext=1&list=PL110CFD632DA1931B

The Anchor Holds...


I have journeyed,
Through the long, dark night;
Out on the open sea.
By faith alone,
Sight unknown;
And yet his eyes were watching me.

The anchor holds,
Though the ship is battered.
The anchor holds,
Though the sails are torn.
I have fallen on my knees,
As I faced the raging seas;
The anchor holds,
In spite of the storm.



I've had visions,
And I've had dreams;
I've even held them in my hand.
But I never knew,
They would slip right through;
Like they were only grains of sand.



The anchor holds,
Though the ship is battered.
The anchor holds,
Though the sails are torn.
I have fallen on my knees,
As I faced the raging seas;
The anchor holds,
In spite of the storm.

I have been young,
But I am older now.
And there has been beauty,
These eyes have seen.
But it was in the night,
Through the storms of my life;
Oh, that's where God proved his love to me.

The anchor holds,
Though the ship is battered.
The anchor holds,
Though the sails are torn.
I have fallen on my knees,
As I faced the raging seas;
The anchor holds,
In spite of the storm.

I have fallen on my knees,
As I faced the raging seas;
The anchor holds,
In spite of the storm.

5 comments:

  1. THis fits so well with us as we approach the end of foster to adopt journey. And what we have been learning in church and sunday school the past few weeks! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! still praying for you and Baby "Hope" when is the big day to find out the gender?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah! Never mind my first comment, I have been behind on reading your blog and just read when the big ultrasound day will be. Breaks my heart reading about Eli. I will keep him and Noah in my prayers! as always!

    Much Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this song!!! I use to sing this song in front of church!! It is one of my favorite song!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cousin sang this at my baby boy's funeral. I don't know if you've ever read the story of the man who wrote it, but that verse was written about a baby that he and his wife lost.

    My rainbow babies were born in april and I've not been keeping up with you as much, and I am sorry about that, but I am very very happy to know you have a rainbow of your own on the way. It is an amazing, but difficult and emotional journey, having a baby after a loss. After we brought them home, even amidst my joy, I felt a fresh, raw wave of grief for my Landon and all the things I was doing with my little girls that I never did with him. But God has blessed me, I am so grateful, and so in love. I pray the same thing for you.
    Love always,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete